Being a stay-at-home mom means I can’t easily leave the house to go to the gym anytime. Although I love weight training and fitness classes (like pilates!) it’s much more convenient and practical for me to workout from home. I also love that I get to include my daughters in what I’m doing and get them excited about fitness too.
My weekly fitness routine usually includes:
- Lots of movement – walking everyday, hiking on the weekends, swimming in the summer, etc.
- Kettlebell workouts 2x per week
- HIIT workouts 2x per week (my favorite exercises: pushups, pull-ups, squats, planks)
As this article explains,
Sprinting builds both anaerobic and aerobic capacity while promoting growth hormone secretion, fat mobilization, and maximum power development. Simply put, if you want to build lean mass and burn body fat, sprinting at least once a week is the way to achieve both. Want proof? Just compare the bodies of your average sprinter and your average marathon runner. Which would you rather resemble?
I switch things up often, but I always do some variation of the exercises below. I wish I could also incorporate our doorway pull-up bar, but it doesn’t fit any of the doorways in our apartment. The only item I use is this 15lb solid cast iron kettlebell and will be upgrading to a higher weight soon.
Here’s a sample weekly workout routine:
Monday – 5 Minute Total Body Plank Workout
- 1 minute full plank
- 30 second elbow plank
- 30 second raised leg – each side
- 30 second side plank – each side
- 30 second full plank
- 1 minute elbow plank
Tuesday – Weighted Squats, Lunges & Swings
- 1 minute squat with weighted bicep curl (in squat) and tricep extension (
- 1 minute weighted lunges
- 3 minutes total kettlebell swings – 30 second swings, 30 second rest x 3
Wednesday – 10 Minute Circuit
- 1 minute plank
- 1 minute lunges
- 1 minute squats
- 30 seconds jumping jacks
- 30 seconds burpees
- 1 minute plank
- 1 minute push ups
- 2 minute squats
- 1 minute stretch
Thursday – Kettlebell Swings
- 75-100 kettlebell swings, no rest, good form
Friday – Sprints
- Sprint 10-20 seconds.
- Rest 10 seconds
- Repeat as many as possible
Saturday & Sunday
- 2-4 hours of walking / hiking in nature
What’s does your weekly workout routine look like and what motivates you to stay fit?